Which mounting systems can I design on OpenSolar?
OpenSolar offers both manufacturer integrations and native solutions for mounting system design and BOM generation.
- 🇬🇧 Viridian
- 🇬🇧 Clenergy
- 🇬🇧 Renusol VS+ (standard single layer 2 rail solution)
- 🇬🇧 Schletter
Please note that some native solutions are only available to users in the UK who have enabled our Segen integration.
How does racking design work?
Our native racking solution is built to follow the manufacturer guidelines, enforcing compatibility checks such as roof slope, roof type and module thickness, and generating an appropriate BOM. The BOM generation process includes the following;
- Basic module spacing
- Rail splicing
- Specifying clamps, hooks and any other required components
Placing Roof Hooks
There are two options to choose between when calculating the quantity of roof hooks; 'basic' and 'MCS'. These methods should be treated as estimates which can be verified and updated alongside a full structural survey and inspection of the roof. To update the number of roof hooks, you can simply turn off 'Auto Racking' and change the quantity as required.
- The basic method supplies a quantity of roof hooks that is equal to the number of modules plus one per rail.
MCS method (UK only)
- The MCS method uses the structural assessment results, and ensures that there are enough fixings on the roof to combat the wind loading. This means you must enter the site details in the MCS structural assessment form first, otherwise OpenSolar will revert to the 'basic' roof hook method.
- This method also enforces a minimum distance of 1500mm between roof hooks to help prevent high static loading.
- Relevant values from the racking design will automatically update in the MCS structural assessment form. For example fixing length, diameter, quantity, and mounting system weight. We assume the fixing length screwed through the rafters is 25mm less than the screws full length to take into account the distance required to go through the roof hook itself, and a batten or spacer.