OpenSolar supports accepting proposals online (on MyEnergy) and paying a deposit by using credit/debit cards through Stripe Integration.
Presently, Stripe integration on OpenSolar is only supported in Australia, US and New Zealand.
To enable online card payments on MyEnergy you must have a Stripe API Key. You can follow the steps below the generate the key and activate it on your OpenSolar account.
- Create a free account on Stripe here: https://dashboard.stripe.com/register
- Ignore the dialog (if it appears) and close the browser tab.
- Look for a verification email and confirm your account.
- Log into Stripe using the credentials you used while creating the account.
- Once you are on the Stripe dashboard, click the "Activate Your Account" link on the left panel.
- Fill all the details and submit the form. This can take some time based on the country of business.
Note: The details you entered are protected by Stripe and not shared with anyone. OpenSolar does not have access to any information that you provide here nor does it make any profit for the online transactions that you do on OpenSolar using Stripe.
- Once your account has been activated, the "Viewing test data" toggle on the left bottom will be enabled.
- Before you start using the live API keys, we highly recommend that you test the Stripe integration with your OpenSolar account. Keep the Viewing test data toggle on and click the API Keys option inside the Developers section on the left side bar.
- Look for the test Publishable Key and test Secret Key.
- Paste the test Publishable Key and test Secret Key in OpenSolar (Control > Settings > Customer Checkout > Accept Credit Card (Stripe)) and Save.
Note: The fields are visible when Enable Checkout and Accept Credit Card (Stripe) is toggled on. You can also add a fixed or a percentage credit card surcharge here.
- Create a dummy project on OpenSolar, include a payment option that has a deposit, go to MyEnergy and click the Accept Proposal & Pay Deposit button.
Note: you can request extra transactions after a customer has accepted a proposal by clicking Request Payment in Projects > Sales & Services > Transactions.
- Fill the form and confirm the payment.
If you are testing an Australian card, please use 4000 0003 6000 0006 as the card number and anything for the expiry date and CVC.
If you are testing an US card, you can use 4242 4242 4242 4242 as the card number, any 3 digits for CVC and 5 digits for Zip Code.
If you are testing a NZ card, please use 4000 0055 4000 0008 as the card number and anything for the expiry date and CVC.
Here's a list of card numbers that you can use to test: https://stripe.com/docs/testing#cards
- Go to the Stripe dashboard (https://dashboard.stripe.com/test/dashboard) and click the Payments section on the left side bar.
- Confirm that you have received the payment in your stripe dashboard. Stripe records your organisation name, organisation ID and project ID from OpenSolar with each transaction.
- If the test transaction worked successfully, you can toggle the "Viewing test data" to "Viewing live data" and follow step 8, 9 and 10 again to replace the test keys with Live keys.
If you have any questions regarding the steps mentioned above on how to integrate Stripe with OpenSolar please feel free to reach us on firstname.lastname@example.org.