This article is in the Projects > Design section of the App.
Please see the video below for a full run through of this process.
**Please note that the Node tool mentioned in the above video has been renamed to Roof**
OpenSolar also allows you to upload your own imagery to use for designing systems. To upload an image, simply drag and drop the image onto the map in Studio mode. If you get an error, please ensure that the image file size is no greater than 1 MB. You will need to rotate the image outside of OpenSolar to face north before uploading it.
Now you can add panel groups and design your system(s) with this custom imagery as the backdrop.
Note: If your panels are not sized properly to the imagery you must have a known length in the imagery (i.e. a gutter is 1 meter, or there are panels in the image):
You will use the Drawing tool to correctly scale the image:
- Click "Drawing Tools" on the bottom right-hand corner, select "Roof (D)" then draw a line by left-clicking to placing two nods. The roofline should be the length and orientation of the part of the design you know a length, as this will be used to scale the uploaded image.
- Once you’ve placed the second nod of the line, just hit ESC to stop drawing additional line segments.
- Now click the ALIGN button ( ) in the bottom right-hand corner.
- While you're in this setting, zoom in/out of the image by either using the +/- signs or using your mouse. When the line you drew matches the image for the length you've used to for scale, your image is now sized properly.
- Click on the ALIGN button ( ) to exit this mode.