This article is in the Studio section of the App.
OpenSolar also allows you to upload your own imagery to use for designing systems. To upload an image, simply drag and drop the image onto the map in Studio mode. If you get an error, please ensure that the image file size is no greater than 1 MB. You will need to rotate the image outside of OpenSolar to face north before uploading it.
Now you can add panel groups and design your system(s) with this custom imagery as the backdrop.
Note: If your panels are not sized properly to the imagery you must have a known length in the imagery (i.e. a gutter is 1 meter, or there are panels in the image):
You will use the 3D Drawing tool to correctly scale the image:
- Click "Drawing Tools" on the bottom right-hand corner, select "Roof (D)" then draw a line by left-clicking to placing two nods. The roofline should be the length and orientation of the part of the design you know a length, as this will be used to scale the uploaded image.
- Once you’ve placed the second nod of the line, just hit ESC to stop drawing additional line segments.
- Now click the ALIGN button ( ) in the bottom right-hand corner.
- While you're in this setting, zoom in/out of the image by either using the +/- signs or using your mouse. When the line you drew matches the image for the length you've used to for scale, your image is now sized properly.
- Click on the ALIGN button ( ) to exit this mode.
Here is a short video breaking down that process for you.
PLEASE NOTE: The enable 3D has now been removed from Studio preferences. To access the roof drawing tool simply ensure that Basic Design Mode is not turned on and then go to the bottom right corner and click on Drawing Tools.
Please see this article for more information on designing your systems:
Please see this Article for instructions on how to select Pricing, Equipment and Stringing for your system within Studio mode.